Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Overcompensation

Nah, I'm not going to talk about CEO salaries. But lately I've been thinking a lot about bullies in grade school who compensated for various flaws by being overly aggressive and childish. This reminds me so much of the pro-torture bill that just passed. The whole debate reeked of immature children compensating for bad grades or something. Torture is wrong morally, especially considering human fallibility. There is essentially no question about that. Unfortunately, it seemed a few Democratic Senators were so scared of looking "weak on terror" that they put little weight on the morally obvious. That was disappointing and I'd personally love to debate with any Democratic Senator who voted to let the President torture. I'm at a loss as to their reasoning and could use some moral clarification from any of them.

I do understand that the temptation to look tough may cause some to push their moral qualms aside. I've been there myself. But even practically, I've seen little evidence that torture works on the practical level. In fact, most of what I've read indicates the obvious.

This begs the question as to why the ten or so Democratic Senators--definitely a minority--voted for the torture bill. It's clear why the Republicans did it--too pretend they are tough and to score political points. But why did the Democratic Senators vote for it? I'd really like to know that answer. And no, third grade rhetoric no longer cuts it.

1 Comments:

At October 05, 2006 4:13 AM, Blogger Spirit said...

Disney Travel stuff. Devices, reviews, services...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home