Monday, July 10, 2006

Man In The Mirror

Sorry, this won't be some grandiose insight, but on my way home from book club I had Michael Jackson playing and his song "Man in the Mirror" came on. It's a song that almost inevitably brings a tear to my eye and makes me wish I could do more. I'll let the words speak for themselves:
As i, turn up the collar on my
Favourite winter coat
This wind is blowin my mind
I see the kids in the street,
With not enough to eat
Who am i, to be blind?
Pretending not to see
Their needs
A summers disregard,
A broken bottle top
And a one mans soul
They follow each other on
The wind ya know
cause they got nowhere to go
Thats why I want you to know

Im starting with the man in the mirror
Im asking him to change his ways
And no message could have
Been any clearer
If you wanna make the world
A better place
Take a look at yourself, and
Then make a change

Ive been a victim of a selfish
Kind of love
Its time that I realize
That there are some with no
Home, not a nickel to loan
Could it be really me,
Pretending that theyre not alone?

A willow deeply scarred,
Somebodys broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of
The wind, ya see
Cause they got no place to be
Thats why Im starting with me
There are 30,000 children who die each day from causes that are mostly preventable (inexpensive vaccines, food, medicine, prenatal care, etc.). Yet we do nothing. Hurricane Katrina flashed over our television screens the effects of generations of nearly inescapable poverty.

I doubt I could ever be in Congress because I don't know how I could look into the eyes of people who could save millions of lives every year but don't seem to care or even try. I don't want to cast judgement on all MoCs because I know there are some who really care. But for a Congress that wraps themselves in morality, I find it dispicable that we are not providing measles vaccines for every child in Africa. I find it dispicable that we let children and working families in our own country go without food, medical and dental care. It's dispicable that we have not demanded accountability in Iraq reconstruction so that countless families go without electricity, water and security. I know both conservatives and liberals care about these things so why is Congress speding time trying to outlaw flag burning and letting people--children--die?

If only members of Congress would start with the person they see in the mirror every day and make a change.

1 Comments:

At July 11, 2006 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and see if you can find something. I found something and make
and extra $900 a month!

http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home