Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Phil Versus Schwarzenegger

It looks like we have our challenger to face Schwarzenegger. I was a little off in my prediction, but if you include only San Francisco, then I was pretty close.

As it became apparent that Angelides was going to win, I started browsing the websites of the two candidates to look for a concession. When I saw Westly's picture I couldn't help but feel a little sad. I know I've been extremely critical of the guy, but I really do think he is a good person and would have been a big improvement over Schwazenegger. I have bones to pick with Westly's campaign, and how his campaign hurt Democrats nationally, but I'll leave that for another time. Instead, I encourage everyone to find out more about Phil Angelides. If you go beyond the primary spin, you'll see he's an impressive leader and worthy of the endorsements of all his supporters.

For those who doubt Angelides' ability to win, you should ask yourself about his positions. Are they extreme for California? Are they extreme for the nation? If we don't believe deep down that our positions can win most elections, then we may as well give up. I'm not ready to give up. I'm ready to fight.

I'm ready to fight for better schools, better health care, more college opportunities, a healthier environment. I'm ready to fight to decrease poverty and ensure equality. Are those really "liberal" or "left-wing" goals? When asked about political ideology I say I'm a moderate because I reject the notion that these are not issues the vast majority of us agree on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home