Sunday, April 16, 2006

Red State, Blue State

SurveyUSA has released a list of approval polls for all 50 governors.

Interestingly enough, they noted next to each governor's name not only his or her party, but also which Presidential candidate their state voted for in 2004. After noting some pretty hefty approval ratings for Republican governors in Kerry states and Democratic governors in Bush states, I started to wonder (i.e. had nothing else to do but figure out) whether such types of governors had higher approval ratings than governors in states whose voters stayed with the same party.

So, 10 minutes and one excel spreadsheet later, I found my results: In states where the governor is from a different party than that of the Presidential candidate for whom the state voted in 2004, the average net approval is +19 (i.e. 59 approve and 40 dissapprove). In states where the governor is from the SAME party as the Presidential candidate that state voted for in 2004, the average net approval rating is only +4 (i.e. 52 approve and 48 dissapprove).

I've yet to formulate a coherent thesis as to why this is, but it's obviously interesting

4 Comments:

At April 16, 2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Gilbert Martinez said...

That's pretty interesting. Can you post the spreadsheet?

 
At April 16, 2006 9:41 PM, Blogger Eric Z said...

I don't know how I'd post the spreadsheet, but all I did was use the "net approval rating" on the page that is linked in my post and found the average for the Republican governors of Bush states, Democrats of Kerry states, vice versa, and etc.

 
At April 17, 2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 
At February 15, 2007 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

syracuse university

 

Post a Comment

<< Home