Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Man In Black

Rumor has it that President Bush will be flying to the Peninsula and will have a stop at Stanford. I won't go into any of the details I've heard because I think a protest/rally is pretty pointless. Instead, I'll be showing my frustration by wearing all black since Bush's actions--and inaction--have resulted in the deaths of many, many people. Iraq is obvious. But he has been slow to deliver quality aid to Africa that could save lives. He hasn't taken a leadership role in Darfur and thousands have died. His lack of an accountable cabinet, specifically the DHS, resulted in many deaths after Katrina.

No, I won't make a nuisance out of myself, but I hope you join me in black:
I wear the black in morning for the lives that could have been
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men
And I wear it for the thousands who have died
Believin' that the Lord was on their side
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died
Believin' that we all were on their side
Well there's things that never will be right I know
And things need changin' everywhere you go
But till we start to make a move to make a few things right
You'll never see me wear a suit of white
Oh I'd love to wear a rainbow every day and tell the world that everything's okay
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back
Till things're brighter I'm the man in black

4 Comments:

At April 18, 2006 9:33 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I'm there Gilbert. How should we spread the word?

 
At April 18, 2006 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

definately agree... in high school my friends did that when he was reelected and many people understood without us saying anything. most people probably won't make the connection though this time. why is he in the area?
Caitlin

 
At April 18, 2006 10:38 PM, Blogger Gilbert Martinez said...

He's in the area for a fundraiser and a talk at a Bay Area company--won't mention the name because I don't want to end up on some no-fly list if protestors show up.

We could write an op-ed to the daily. I'd like to spread the word through friends.

 
At April 18, 2006 11:15 PM, Blogger kilduff said...

according to the merc he isn't actually speaking at stanford, but his chopper is landing at stanford at the im soccer fields near the med school. they cancelled im soccer bc secret service was out there scouting the place. maybe they'll switch, but that's the word as of today.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/14373053.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home