Increasing Fuel Efficiency
I'm convinced that in the next three years or so, some serious long term investment in alternative fuels is going to happen. However, that still leaves us with years before we can start switching over and breathing a little fresh air. The question is, what do we do in the interim. Hopefully others will chime in, but here is a simple list I came up with:
- Immediate increase in cafe standards with a graduated increase every few years. This should decrease emissions and increase investment in efficient transprotation
- More tax incentives to buy hybrid or alternative fuel cars
- Some sort of government loans/subsidies to get low-income folks a chance to buy hybrid/AF vehicles
- Decrease the federal speed limit. Perhaps have some sort of "use tax" associated with different types of vehicles who are ticketed. That is, an SUV gets fined more than a Prius, etc. Don't know if that will fly though
- "Fuel use" tax on NEW vehicles below a certain standard (e.g. Hummers, Excursions, etc.)
What would you do?
Postscript: The National Academy of Sciences did some research on CAFE standards back in 2001.