Thursday, April 27, 2006

Conflicting values

With gas prices rising at an increasingly rapid pace, I've found myself torn between competing values. On the one hand, I feel that rising gas prices hit low income and working class Americans the hardest, and thus represent a grave threat to a strong, stable middle class. On the other hand, I also feel strongly that only high gas prices can force us to re-evaluate our dependence on oil and the inevitable hard that we are doing to the environment. So do I wish for continued high gas prices in hopes of remedying our environmental harms, or do I hope for lower prices to alleviate the pressure on working Americans?

Progressives must confront this dichotomy when considering proposals like a "gas tax holiday," which Republicans are now proposing. My first reaction to such a proposal was opposition: if Americans are ever going to kick our oil addiction, we have to feel some pain first. But then my progressive economic side kicked in, and I sympathized with those Americans which, to use the standard liberal tear-jerker, have to choose between putting food on the table or gas in the tank.

So what is a progressive to do? How does one balance a concern for the environment with a concern for the well-being of American workers?

I don't know yet. Do you?

2 Comments:

At April 27, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Gilbert Martinez said...

I mentioned a few proposals to expedite the step to more environmental friendly vehicles. I'd also like to throw in a variation on the NAS recommendation for "fleet based" tax incentives for companies, namely that hybrid/alternative fuel cars are added to the mix.

Additionally, we could help corporations--yeah, corporate welfare--by taking over health care so that they have more to invest in environmentally friendly vehicles.

 
At June 07, 2006 7:53 PM, Anonymous Charles Hughes said...

If you are as tired of high gas prices as I am you will be very interested in these News reports from NBC and FOX news. They reveal how you can start saving 7%-19%. They also reveal how you can turn this into a very profitable venture. I have personally used the product with very good results..19.5% savings. To test the product I put it in my wife's car an '05 Cadillac SRX. She was not aware I put it in the car. I did it this way so that she would not subconsciously drive any differently and the final result 19.5% increase in milage. Quite astounding. I did the same with my Dad's '06 Ford F-150 and he got 15.3% increase. You really should check this out. save on fuel http://prosonline.biz/gas/charleshughessave on fuel
This is truly a winner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home