Monday, October 17, 2005

Redistricting Again...

I've posted on this before, but it's worth posting again. Via Donkey Rising, there is a paper by Abramowitz, Alexander and Gunning on redistricting and incumbency. Their conclusion:
However, this shift has not been caused by redistricting but by demographic change and ideological realignment within the electorate. Moreover, even in the remaining marginal districts only a small minority of House races are competitive. The main explanation for the lack of competition even in marginal districts appears to be the inability of challengers to compete financially with incumbents.
I've also previously pointed to Steven Hill's Mother Jones article that brings up this important point:
It turns out that there is a fundamental anti-urban (and thus anti-Democratic) bias with single-seat districts. The urban vote is more concentrated, and so it's easier to pack Democratic voters into fewer districts. As Democratic redistricting strategist Sam Hirsch has noted, nice square districts are in effect a Republican gerrymander because they "combine a decade-old (but previously unnoticed) Republican bias" that along with a newly heightened degree of incumbent protection "has brought us one step closer to government under a United States House of Unrepresentatives."
And let's not forget that the 2000 census data--which Prop. 77 will use for redistricting mid-decade--omits the large amount of new Californians. Redistricting at will is not a good thing, even on principle. Voters will be deliberately ignored in any mid decade redistricting effort. Plus, having to continually vote

9 Comments:

At October 17, 2005 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, interesting post! I've bookmarked your blog and will be reading it regularly.

By the way, did you hear today that the defence secretary, John Reid, today defended the storming of an Iraqi jail by British troops trying to free two captured undercover British soldiers? What do you think?

I have a used car auctions web site which you or your readers may find interesting. It pretty much covers used car auctions related stuff.

Keep up the nice work!

Jimmy

 
At October 19, 2005 1:50 PM, Blogger DemocracyMarket said...

Would you be arguing the same way if you were a Democrat in Texas? I doubt it.
You are just concerned that Democrats might lose a few seats in California. Just admit it. It's not about democracy or process, it's about your desired result.

 
At October 19, 2005 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!.

 
At October 20, 2005 8:33 PM, Blogger Gilbert Martinez said...

I'm glad you can speak for me democracy market. I guess other people know my thoughts better than myself.

 
At November 18, 2005 5:06 PM, Blogger AutoAuctions said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Car Auctions site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At November 19, 2005 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Auto Auctions site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

-----------------------------------------------------

 
At February 18, 2006 12:42 AM, Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business said...

Sensational blog. I took pleasure in the site and I
will go back! Surfing online for blogs like this one
is worth my time.
Want to see top notch work, peep my free home based business opportunity blog site for the bomb work!

 
At September 28, 2006 10:58 AM, Blogger Meg Taylor said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my city car sales site.
Have a great week!

 
At March 29, 2007 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

British Columbia women

 

Post a Comment

<< Home