Friday, May 27, 2005

Summer Reading Lists

I hope this post is somewhat interactive. Campus progress posted summer reading recommendations and blogs elsewhere have asked for recommendations. I love to read and would be interested in other people's suggestions for summer reading. I'll get things rolling.

  • God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It by Jim Wallis. This is a good book for perspectives on the progressive Christian movement. It's much longer than it should be, but still worth the time to read it.
  • No god but God by Reza Aslan. I'm just about finished with this very interesting book. It provides a historical context about the Koran and Islam generally. Well written and short enough to finish quickly.
  • Living History, the Hillary Clinton auto-biography. A nice departure from all the right-wing vitriolic "accounts" of this controversial figure. I enjoyed it more than her hubby's book.
  • My Life, the Bill Clinton bio. Extremely long winded and rather boring for the first third (which is about 300 pages). Once he finally gets to discussing the presidency, it is rather engaging.
  • Perfectly Legal by David Cay Johnston. Eye opening and informative. I'd be surprised if you don't have any reaction after reading it.
  • Blinded By the Right by David Brock. An easily readable account of the "vast right-wing conspiracy". The beginning provides caution to liberals who are over zealous--they led to his conservativism. Also part of the reason that I'm skeptical of a lot of anti-Bush stuff coming out these days.
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. A discussion on how American history is taught in high school. Great for those, such as myself, who were unable to take many history classes as an undergrad. Since reading this, I've developed a huge fondness for history.
  • Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. There are four books in the series and are all hard to put down once you get started. You can finish all of them in a week if you tried.
  • Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle. A novel about two couples: one an upper middle class liberal couple; the other illegal immigrants trying to survive.
I've got a few books in my queue, but I'm hoping you all give me some others to add to it.

3 Comments:

At May 29, 2005 1:11 AM, Blogger Nell Selander said...

"War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning," by Chris Hedges. I have not finished this book - it is very intense. Chris Hedges witnessed the war in Bosnia, the first Gulf War, and the war in Afghanistan first hand as a reporter. "War Is a Force..." is a analysis of the war he has witnessed, with some insights into war in general and its effects on civilians. So far, so good.

 
At June 02, 2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Okay this is a book I got assigned for school, but one everyone should read. Samantha Powers "A Problem From Hell". Definatly not an upper, it goes through some of the major incedents of genocide in our time. Great political and personal perspective. Expecially interesting when you're considering merits of US intervention policy.

 
At February 18, 2006 11:13 AM, Blogger Best Home Based Business said...

Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
one.
If your look to uncover information, please visit my best home based business idea blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home