Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Draft Warren

I don't always get a chance to read TomPaine.com these days, but since I mentioned Warren Beatty's speech on Schwarzenegger a while back, I was interested to see what he had to say this time around. Since it's pretty obvious that Mr. Beatty watched the Hardball Episode when he was here at Stanford, I'd like to take credit for him mentioning "girly men" and "stooges":
But now that he's a politician, I say, why not rise to the higher levels of that calling, rather than denigrate your fellow politicians, calling them "stooges" and "girly men" and "losers." They give years of their lives to public service in the legislature of what is intended to be a representative form of government, where public policy on decisions affecting 38 million people's lives are adequately discussed — not a government by ballot initiatives financed by huge advertising monies that bypass a careful examination of a bill by the people's elected representatives.

Can't we accept that devotion to the building of the body politic is more complex and a little more sensitive than devotion to body building? Does that make me a "girly man"?
Even if I'm not responsible for his use of "girly men" and "stooges", I'm glad someone is taking Schwarzenegger to task on it. I know people in Washington and Sacramento who work really hard. I also know hard working people--who make our economy work--that are struggling financially and trying to provide for their children. So it is offensive to me when someone calls these people "stooges" or "girly man" to demean them, even it it a joke.

I think Beatty nails it on the head with his "Schwarzenegger Republican" comment, but I liked his Lloyd Bentsen:
Bipartisanship? We don't have it here. And let's not mistake the exploitation of the name of one of the greatest liberal families in American history for bipartisanship. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Governor, you're no Kennedy Democrat. [My emphasis]

Stop trying to milk the illusion of bipartisanship. You are a conservative Republican who likes to have a few Democrats around for show.
I threw the last two sentences in because I think it will be important in the upcoming gubernatorial primary--at least it would be if I were involved in the Angelides campaign (hint hint).

As a fellow "girly man", I'd love to see Beatty run for Governor. He'd immediately be a close second on my list. A few reasonable policy position papers and he might even be number one. I especially like his strong union support! (More on that later.)

1 Comments:

At February 21, 2006 12:43 AM, Blogger Start Home Based Business said...

I peep the web for blogs just like this one.
Airtight blog. Your site was off the chain and I will
return!
I want you to look for my based best business home online blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home