Sunday, April 24, 2005

The World I Wish I Didn't Know

This is scary:
At least four of the two dozen or so U.S. delegates selected for the meeting, sources tell TIME, have been bumped by the White House because they supported John Kerry's 2004 campaign.
...
The White House admits as much: "We wanted people who would represent the Administration positively, and--call us nutty--it seemed like those who wanted to kick this Administration out of town last November would have some difficulty doing that," says White House spokesman Trent Duffy.

This made me cry:

Here in impoverished southeast Missouri, nurses at a family health clinic stash drug samples for patients they know won't be able to afford their prescriptions after their coverage is eliminated this summer.
...
Rather than raise costs for minimum-wage clerks, Skaggs suggests increasing insurance premiums for lawmakers who get health coverage through the state. He recently introduced a measure that would have cost the average politician $115 a month — the measure failed on a close vote.

"That made a complete mockery of the idea that leaders sacrifice first," Skaggs said. "Times are tough, but not so tough that we have to sacrifice?"
...
"If they take it away from me, I'll just go downhill," Sevic said. "I won't be here much longer. It's that plain and simple." Eyes weary, she said she thought she deserved better: "If you get out and try, really try to make a living, the government ought to step in and help you."
...
"I've worked all my life," Bostic said. "I've paid my taxes. And now, when I get down and out, they don't want to help me."

I really feel dirty after reading this article. I'm worried about having enough money to go on a vacation while others just want dentures, life saving medication, or medical treatment. The last sentence sums up the antithesis of my view: That's as it should be, lawmaker Stefanick said. "Once you put a benefit out there, reining it in is not easy," she said. "But it is the responsible thing to do."

Is leaving these vulnerable people to fend for themselves really "responsible" or even moral?

2 Comments:

At February 20, 2006 11:09 AM, Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business said...

Super blog. I web surf when I have the time for
blogs like this one.Your site was nice and will be
visited again!
Go and click my based business home idea successful blog.

 
At March 30, 2007 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips and insights. I run site and blog for business opportunity from home feel free to drop by and comment or swap links.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home