Saturday, April 30, 2005

Senate Representation

The GOP likes to tout the fact that they have a majority in both chambers of Congress. They also like to suggest that this gives them a mandate. But this deserves more scrutiny. As Mario Cuomo reminds us, the GOP claims of a mandate "[S]ounds nearly absurd when you learn that the minority Democrats in the Senate actually represent more Americans than the majority Republicans do."

What if we weight a Senator's vote based on the amount of people they represent. If that's the case, would the GOP really want an up or down vote on ANYTHING they propose? I'd like to see an analysis by someone that goes over some of the more contentious bills and applies a weighting based on representation and see how many votes would have turned out differently.

4 Comments:

At April 30, 2005 4:42 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Should more people know this? I think so. But then how is it that we have a minority in the house as well? (gerrymandering) Argh! But our infallible system is at fault here, is it not?

 
At May 01, 2005 6:39 PM, Blogger Eric Z said...

Not only that, but in the 2004 elections, Senate Democrats received 52% of the total votes for Senate, while the Republicans got only 47% (but picked up 4 seats because of the skewed representation)

 
At February 18, 2006 2:35 AM, Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business said...

Unique blog my friend, I can hardly wait to vist
this site again. I just worship the site its comes
from! Believe me in my extra time I'm consistently
looking up blogs like this.
Click on my home based business work from home blog before its to late.

 
At May 05, 2006 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I like your blog, you can visit my web page if you like.make money on the internethttp://www.moneywebpage.commake money on the internet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home