Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Buh-Bye Lincoln Chafee

Thanks to Kevin Drum for pointing out this roll call vote on an amendment "To express the sense of the Senate that Congress should reject any Social Security plan that requires deep benefit cuts or a massive increase in debt."

The mostly party line vote (all Dems yea) was 50-50. The truly compassionate Republicans:

Collins (ME)
DeWine (OH)
Graham (SC)
Snowe (ME)
Specter (PA)

Noticably missing: Lincoln Chafee from Rhode Island. I hope the Dems use this agains him in '06. He's already unpopular their for being a little cabana boy for Bush. Kim Gandy (President of NOW) tried to argue that we should support pro-choice Lincoln Chafee over the apparent pro-choice Dem candidate. But, as Phil Singer pointed out:

The most pro-choice Republicans like Lincoln Chaffee also, I would add, have voted up and down the line for the – Bush's pro-life judges who are intent on overturning –

The discussion is worth browsing and is incidentally why I find it harder and harder to stomach Democracy now these days. They conclude that since Sen. Clinotn refers to abortion as "a sad, even tragic choice to many, many women," that she is all of a sudden against abortion. I mean come on. I've know people who have had an abortion and from their own words, it's not a rosy decision. It's a tough choice I hope I never have to make or that my children ever have to make. If that makes me any less of a Democrat than so be it.

2 Comments:

At March 16, 2005 7:24 PM, Blogger Grace LaVance said...

He did vote for Cantwell's amendment to prevent drilling in the ANWR, though... I think he deserves to be on the list of your "truly compassionate Republicans," if Graham of SC does.

Not to say that a Dem wouldn't look better in his place--or any of their places...

 
At March 16, 2005 8:37 PM, Blogger Gilbert Martinez said...

Personally, I don't really consider any of those republicans to be "truly" compassionate based on their records--although I think Specter is the closest based on voting record. I don't know them personally so I can't comment on how they feel, I'm sure they probably care about things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home